Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Jesus blippin Christ

It really boggles my mind, this progressive Christianity thing, and I'm trying to understand it.

The apologetics has reached a point of such refinement that it becomes very tiresome and painful to engage in debate with anyone who practices it. They'll have a soundbyte comeback for every flair of doubt you scoff up, concede on the more blatant of biblical errors, and rationalize every damn verse...

This begs several questions, but let me try to just come up with just one: Is this what one has to do to be taken seriously as a Christian nowadays? To devote ones entire life, upsurped in mental acrobatics, clinging to whatever intellectual foothold you can muster up, just to be secure in your faith?

Okay, so maybe some spite got through on those last couple of lines, but I'm driving at something here... I'm a non-religious person for the most part. I have some spiritual inclinations from a haphazard spiritual phase I went though a couple years back, but when it comes to the major cliams of truth asserted in the old books, I am sincerely unconvinced. If I had to give an ad hoc probability I'd say that there is a 98.9 % chance that there is no such thing as an egoic God, there is no such thing as heaven or hell as described in the bible, mary wasn't no virgin (double negative), and snakes certainly cannot talk...

However, I know the specific breed of Christians I'm referring to here (well mostly the ones I see are Christians, but you can probably find these intellectual theists in all faiths) have ways around this kind of thing. I'd like to pick their brains a bit, and learn more, and hopefully not get frustrated in the process... In my opinion, religion as most people know it is a house built on sand that's already 3 quarters of the way sunk. And the progressive christians are those in some kind of complex transitional stage that humanity has to go through before we can be memetically perfected as a species...

Or something along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment